Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.

Presidential Office urges for patience over Chang case

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- The Presidential Office yesterday urged the nation to patiently await the results of the investigation into former Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Chang Hsien-yao (張顯耀) and avoid making speculations that would harm the nation's interests.

Chang, who stands accused of disclosing confidential information, is currently being investigated by the Taipei District Prosecutors Office.

The case has entered the judicial process, and the Presidential Office respects the judicial system, the spokeswoman said, urging all sectors to wait until investigators have clarified the facts.

The Presidential Office does not wish to see anyone using this as an opportunity for political maneuvering, Presidential Office spokeswoman Ma Wei-kuo (馬瑋國) said, urging against speculation that is detrimental to the nation's interests and cross-strait relations.

The spokeswoman confirmed that President Ma Ying-jeou received a letter from Chang on Aug. 17. According to the spokeswoman, Chang stated in the letter that he had been informed by MAC Minister Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) as to why he was being transferred from his position, namely because he was being placed under investigation due to the fact that he had been accused of disclosing confidential information.

According to media outlets and political commentators, Chang mentioned in the letter that Wang had told him that the request for his resignation came from National Security Council Secretary-General King Pu-tsung (金溥聰). The Presidential Office denied the claims, saying that they are inconsistent with the facts.

The minister has on several occasions said publicly that the suggestion to have Chang transferred was his, the spokeswoman said, rejecting the rumors claiming that King had called for Chang's resignation.

The spokeswoman further denied that Chang had made such a claim in his letter to the president.

According to local reports, the letter has been handed over to district prosecutors.

On Monday, Wang also denied that the letter had mentioned King as the person responsible for Chang's departure from the MAC, and that related reports were inconsistent with the facts.

King released a statement on Aug. 20 and said that he has never exceeded his boundaries as a public servant and that his actions will stand up to public scrutiny. King also said that he has not excluded the possibility of taking legal action against those who spread disinformation in an attempt to smear his reputation.

Write a Comment
CAPTCHA Code Image
Type in image code
Change the code
 Receive China Post promos
 Respond to this email
Subscribe  |   Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Career  |   Contact Us
Sitemap  |   Top Stories  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |   Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary
Travel  |   Movies  |   TV Listings  |   Classifieds  |   Bookstore  |   Getting Around  |   Weather  |   Guide Post  |   Student Post  |   English Courses  |   Terms of Use  |   Sitemap
  chinapost search