Chang to meet with prosecutors
The China Post news staff Sunday, August 24, 2014, 12:01 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Former Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Deputy Minister Chang Hsien-yao reportedly plans to meet prosecutors tomorrow to defend himself against spying allegations.
Chang said he will have his lawyer arrange an interview with Taipei district prosecutors at their office and tell them all he knows about the allegations, according to the Apple Daily newspaper.
"I have a clear conscience," Chang was cited by the paper as saying while commenting on the prosecutors' move to bar him from traveling abroad in the wake of the allegations.
A spokesman for the Taipei District Prosecutors Office said they had yet to receive word from the ex-MAC official about his coming.
"If Chang Hsien-yao volunteers to come give an explanation, it's his right," said the spokesman, Chang Chieh-chin.
Despite the travel ban on the former official, prosecutors have yet to subpoena him for a formal questioning.
Chang has openly defended himself against the accusations.
While the Bureau of Investigation has hinted at the possibility of Chang being a "China spy," district prosecutors are looking into allegations that the ex-MAC chief leaked classified information.
Meanwhile, the Presidential Office confirmed that President Ma Ying-jeou received a letter from the deputy minister following his sacking.
But presidential spokesman Ma Wei-kuo declined to reveal more concerning the letter.
Political sources were cited by the Central News Agency as saying that the president has had MAC Minister Wang Yu-chi turn over the letter to investigators.
Media reports have claimed that the letter was a complaint about his dismissal for allegedly leaking classified information.
Chang reportedly maintained in the letter that he is innocent and that he remained loyal to the president.
Wang and Chang had different versions of their talk in which the former told the latter he was fired from the job last week. Wang claims he told Chang about the suspected leak, while Chang claims he was not told.
Despite the contradictory claims, the MAC's official version is that Chang — in charge of negotiations with China — is suspected of leaking classified documents on five occasions.
The United Evening News cited unnamed ranking MAC officials as saying that the MAC only knows that Chang had delivered the classified documents, but does not know how he had delivered them and to whom he had them delivered.
Wang has disclosed that the allegations against Chang are based on a report received by the MAC.
But the MAC dismissed a China Times report that claimed Chang had been put under an internal probe for almost two years following a complaint about him leaking classified information.
MOST POPULAR OF THIS SECTION