1st dengue death reported in Kaohsiung, public urged to take precautions: CDC
By Pushin Huang ,Special to The China Post
August 20, 2014, 12:01 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC, 疾管署) yesterday announced that the first death from dengue fever this year occurred in Kaohsiung, where most cases were found so far, and reminded people to take some precautions, especially for diabetes and hypertension patients.
The CDC pointed out that a 76-year-old woman who suffered from diabetes and hypertension died from dengue fever on Aug. 16. Her symptoms started with fever, vomiting, muscular soreness and arthralgia on Aug. 9. Later that week, she suffered from bloody stools and gastro-intestinal bleeding after she went to a hospital. She eventually died because of multiple organ failure.
Another dengue fever case occurred in Kaohsiung involving a 34-year-old man who went to the hospital eight times with symptoms including a nosebleed, fluid retention, bloody stools and bleeding gums. Although suffering from the painful disease, he successfully recovered and was discharged from the hospital.
According to the CDC, dengue is divided into four serotypes, numbered 1 to 4, and each type has previously broken out in Southern Taiwan. If people suffer from a combination of the serotypes, it may cause dengue hemorrhagic fever, a severe and sometimes fatal infection. In addition, patients suffering from chronic illness, such as hypertension and diabetes, have a higher rate of developing dengue hemorrhagic fever, CDC added.
The CDC continued by saying that there have been 878 dengue fever cases so far this year and 174 cases last week. Regarding these 174 cases, two of them occurred in Tainan, one in Pingtung and 171 in Kaohsiung.
The central government stated that it has endeavored to stop the disease from spreading, especially at the reconstruction site in Kaohsiung, where the torrential rain last week caused flooding and may create ideal conditions for the disease to spread. Besides, the CDC reminds citizens to keep their surroundings clean to avoid mosquitoes that may cause dengue fever.