Former deputy minister of MAC accuses Council of wronging him
By Adam Tyrsett Kuo, The China Post
August 19, 2014, 12:05 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Ex-Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Deputy Minister Chang Hsien-yao (張顯耀) yesterday released a statement, saying that the MAC had done him a grievous wrong by altering its explanation as to why he had resigned.
Initially, the MAC said that Chang had stepped down due to family reasons. Afterward, Chang released a statement, indicating that he was told to resign. In response, the MAC said that Chang had actually been subjected to an investigation after a complaint was filed.
At around noon yesterday, Chang released a new statement, saying that he has always upheld the interests of the nation as a public servant, and that he adhered strictly to the instructions of the president, the secretary-general of the National Security Council and his immediate supervisor, the minister of the MAC, during his tenure as deputy minister.
Chang asked that the MAC word its statements prudently so as to avoid hurting others and itself.
Later in the afternoon, the MAC said that it had already made a statement regarding Chang's resignation, declining to comment further on the former deputy minister's latest statement.
Earlier in the day, MAC Deputy Minister and spokeswoman Wu Mei-hung (吳美紅) explained that her council had cited family issues as the reason behind Chang's resignation at first to protect him, and that he resigned because there are things that need to be "clarified" regarding his tenure.
According to local reports, a source privy to the details of the incident said that Chang was fully aware of why he had to resign from beginning to end, including the fact that he was being placed under investigation.
The source reportedly said that the MAC was perplexed as to why, given the circumstances, Chang had released a statement saying he was told to resign.