Minister, mayors meet over 12-year education row
By Katherine Wei, he China Post
August 18, 2014, 12:02 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Education Minister Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) yesterday met with Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) and New Taipei Mayor Eric Chu (朱立倫) to discuss the new 12-year compulsory education system that previously sparked outrage and protests throughout the nation.
Having announced last week that New Taipei City will be dropping the 12-year compulsory education special exams, Chu suggested that the MOE implement a thorough reform of the 12-year compulsory education system; cutting short the enrollment procedure in order to lessen the academic pressure on students and parents.
Hau followed suit in less than a week, proposing that the results of the said exam should be used as a reference regarding the two ways to enroll in high school — the exam-free applications and the special admission applications. Contrary to the Ministry of Education's (MOE) current system of "exam-free first, specialty second," Hau proposed that the exam-free application must be conducted prior to the special admission applications. "This is only fair and simple," said Hau.
The meeting yesterday was held as many political leaders in various counties and cities have all relayed their less-than-satisfied opinions to Wu.