International Edition

Friday

December, 9, 2016

Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.
About Us
Subscribe
Advertise
Contact Us

25-day-old infant dies of enterovirus infection: CDC

TAIPEI -- A 25-day-old infant died Monday in Southern Taiwan after becoming infected with echovirus type 11, making him the youngest victim of human enterovirus this year, the Centers for Disease Control said Tuesday.

The boy was diagnosed with the infection after developing severe symptoms including fever and shortness of breath three days after being born through caesarean section, according to CDC Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang.

The infant's mother tested negative for enterovirus but positive for streptococcus, the bacteria responsible for strep throat. It is still unknown how echovirus type 11 was transmitted to the newborn, but person-to-person transmission through close contact cannot be ruled out, Chuang said.

Write a Comment
CAPTCHA Code Image
Type in image code
Change the code
 Receive our promos
 Respond to this email
MOST POPULAR
Subscribe  |   Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Career  |   Contact Us
Sitemap  |   Top Stories  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |   Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary
Travel  |   Movies  |   TV Listings  |   Classifieds  |   Bookstore  |   Getting Around  |   Weather  |   Guide Post  |   Student Post  |   Terms of Use  |   Sitemap
  chinapost search