Tearful South Korea president vows to disband coast guard
AFP and AP
May 20, 2014, 12:06 am TWN
SEOUL -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye took tearful responsibility Monday for the mishandling of last month's Sewol ferry disaster, admitting many lives were lost unnecessarily and vowing to dismantle the national coast guard.
"The ultimate responsibility for the poor response to this accident lies with me," Park said in a televised address to the nation, during which she wept openly and twice bowed deeply in a display of contrition.
Park's popularity ratings have been hammered by the April 16 disaster that claimed around 300 lives, most of them schoolchildren.
She has voiced regret several times, but Monday's address was the first time she has explicitly accepted direct responsibility for what has become a defining moment of her presidency.
"As the president responsible for the lives and safety of South Koreans, I offer my sincere apology for all the suffering," she said.
Prime Minister Chung Hong-won resigned last month over the disaster, and while there have been few calls for Park to step down, she has been criticized for not displaying enough sympathy or remorse.
Toward the end of her 30-minute address, Park's voice choked with emotion and tears ran down her face as she described the heroic actions of some of the victims who died trying to save others.
She highlighted the failure of the coastguard's immediate response to the tragedy and acknowledged the complaints of the victims' relatives that many more lives might have been saved.
"I have decided to dismantle the coastguard," she said.
Park said she would push for legislation aimed at transferring the coast guard's responsibilities to the National Police Agency and a new government safety agency that she plans to establish. The new agency would also take over maritime traffic controlling responsibilities, currently held by the Ocean Ministry, and safety and security responsibilities, held by the Ministry of Security and Public Administration, and would deal with both land and sea disasters, she said.
The 6,825-tonne Sewol was carrying 476 people when it capsized and sank off the southern coast on April 16.
The confirmed death toll stands at 286, with 18 still unaccounted for.
Of those on board, 325 were children from a high school on an organized trip to the southern resort island of Jeju.
The victims' families have been extremely critical of nearly every aspect of the government's handling of the disaster, with some taking their protests to the doors of the presidential Blue House in Seoul.
Many relatives believe some children may have survived for hours or even days inside air pockets in the capsized ferry, but died because rescuers took too long to access the submerged vessel.
Families of those who still remain missing criticized the shock decision to disband the coastguard, calling it an ill-timed, hasty move that would further dim hopes to find bodies of their relatives.
"It is clear that (Park's) announcement will rattle coastguard officials and hamper ongoing search efforts," father of a missing teenager and the families' spokesman told reporters.
"We are in indescribable sorrow," he said, urging officials to continue search efforts "until the one last missing person is found."