NSB head did not resign: Presidential Office
By Joseph Yeh ,The China Post
March 25, 2014, 12:18 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- The Presidential Office yesterday denied a local media report that said the nation's top intelligence chief has offered to resign from his post over heath problem.
Presidential Office spokeswoman Garfie Li (李佳霏) said yesterday that the report saying National Security Bureau (NSB, 國安局) Director-general Tsai Der-sheng (蔡得勝) offered his resignation to the president is “ungrounded and fictitious.”
Li's comment was a response to a Chinese-language Apple Daily report yesterday that said Tsai submitted an oral resignation to President Ma Ying-jeou yesterday morning, citing health reasons.
According to the report, Ma has yet to approve Tsai's resignation but has begun seeking Tsai's successor.
It was reported that National Defense University president Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) is among the top candidates to take over the NSB chief's post.
Tsai, 65, has been serving as NSB head since May, 2009.
The resignation rumor came at a sensitive time after protesters and students broke into the Executive Yuan compound in downtown Taipei Sunday evening in a protest against the services trade pact with China.
Some local media alleged that Tsai's offer to resign was to take responsibility for the NSB's inability to prevent the incident.
It is not the first time a report has stated that Tsai is leaving his post.
Previous media reports said that Tsai would resign to take responsibility over the incident in which a truck rammed the Presidential Office building earlier this year
But Tsai said last month that he has not received information saying that he will be leaving his post to take responsibility for the incident.