NSB website to restrict access to stop frequent hacker attacks
By Joseph Yeh, The China Post
March 19, 2014, 12:07 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- The National Security Bureau (NSB, 國安局) yesterday confirmed that it has decided to disable all file access functions of its official website, a move done for national security reasons in the face of rampant cyber-attacks, mostly launched by Chinese hackers, according to officials.
NSB officials told local media yesterday that it bureau decided to make the adjustment earlier this month. Previously, visitors to the NSB official site can download required files from the site.
Following the adjustment that disabled all the file access functions of its official website, visitors to the site can no longer download or upload files or copy and paste the information listed on the NSB site for security reasons.
The latest initiative was launched to prevent increasing numbers of hacking attempts targeting the NSB site, according to an NSB official who prefers to stay anonymous.
According to its previous report, the NSB has been the target of more than 76,000 malicious hacking attempts in 2012. In the first six months of 2013 alone, the NSB said its was attacked by hackers nearly 60,000 times.
These attacks were all successfully blocked, the bureau said.
The attacks are perceived as mostly originating from China as the top intelligence agency of the island nation is a major target for cyber-attacks by Chinese military and civilian hackers.
The attacks are mostly focused on gaining the authority to access to the NSB site, or attempting to install malicious code into a computer program to access to the NSB's server.
In response, the NSB has continued to beef up its cyber defense capabilities in the face of the rising Chinese cyber-attacks.
More manpower and resources have been designated to beef up counter cyber-attack capabilities to regularly update its computer security system.