No Taiwanese casualties reported in NY explosion
March 14, 2014, 12:09 am TWN
TAIPEI--No casualties or deaths of Taiwanese nationals and expatriates in the United States have been reported in the wake of a gas explosion in New York City Wednesday that killed three people and injured dozens, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday.
“Our representative office in New York has been in close contact with local police and fire departments to stay on top of the situation,” said ministry spokeswoman Anna Kao.
Meanwhile, Paul Chang, director-general of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in New York, has sent letters of condolence to New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, Kao said.
Two New York City buildings collapsed a day earlier in an explosion believed to have been caused by a gas leak, foreign reports said.
The blast in a largely residential block in East Harlem killed three and injured at least 63 people, according to foreign reports.