Girl killed by firework in Taitung County
CNATAIPEI, Taiwan -- An 8-year-old girl in Taitung County, southeastern Taiwan, died Monday after being hit in the throat by a firework while playing with her siblings and neighborhood children.
February 5, 2014, 12:14 am TWN
The girl died at Taitung Hospital after being rushed there suffering from massive bleeding when the rocket speared her throat, according to rescue personnel.
The girl's death was attributed to suffocation by the paramedics, although there was no official report from the hospital.
One of the teenagers involved in the accident said they inserted the rocket into a beer bottle in the middle of the road before igniting it. Unexpectedly, the rocket did not fly up but flew parallel to the road before hitting the girl, who was standing five to six meters away, the boy said.
During a police investigation, the teenager said that he launched the rocket.
The top-heavy rocket on a stick could easily fall while being launched from a bottle on the ground, police said.
In related news, a fire broke out at an ironworks in Taichung, central Taiwan Tuesday, when the owner and workers of the factory burned ghost money in a traditional commencement ceremony after Lunar New Year's Day, which fell on Jan. 31 this year.
The blaze spread to a neighboring factory, but no casualties were reported.