MOI reaches decision not to appeal Dapu verdict
By Lauly Li, The China Post
January 29, 2014, 12:08 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- The Ministry of the Interior (MOI) yesterday said in order to solve the long-stalled dispute over land expropriation in Dapu, and in order to let Dapu residents get their life back on track, the ministry will not appeal a Taichung High Administrative Court verdict.
Earlier this month the court issued a ruling against the MOI regarding the Dapu land expropriation project and ordered the ministry to revoke its land expropriation orders for the four demolished households. The court, however, dismissed appeals from the other 19 plaintiffs.
Deputy Minister of the Interior Hsiao Chia-chi (蕭家淇) held a press conference, saying that according to the verdict the court deems the MOI did not fulfill all legal requirements during a review of the Dapu land expropriation application.
Hsiao said the ministry also thinks the Dapu application process exercised a lack of consideration, and said that the MOI apologizes for causing controversy.
The deputy minister said the MOI will work with the Miaoli County Government to proactively communicate with members of the four families whose households were demolished in order to solve the problem.
Stressing that the land expropriation act was amended in January 2012, Hsiao said the amended law is now more detailed and careful regarding expropriation procedures, and he believes the amended law can meet society's expectation.
Hsiao said the verdict also deems the Dapu urban development project legitimate, and so the project will carry on, noting that the verdict will also not affect the other ongoing land expropriation projects in the country.
No Rebuilding at Original Sites