Ministry of the Interior to reach decision over potential Dapu appeal
By Lauly Li, he China Post
January 28, 2014, 12:10 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Minister of the Interior Lee Hong-yuan (李鴻源) yesterday said the ministry will make a final decision on whether or not to appeal against the Dapu verdict today.
The Taichung High Administrative Court earlier this month issued a ruling against the Ministry of the Interior (MOI) regarding Miaoli County's controversial Dapu land expropriation project. The verdict demands that the MOI revoke its demolition orders for four Dapu households.
The MOI was requested to issue its decision on the verdict to the court before Jan. 29.
The Dapu Self-Help Organization and the Taipei Rural Front yesterday brought spring couplets to the Executive Yuan and the Ministry of the Interior, saying that they hope the government will not file an appeal against the ruling and will assist the Dapu residents in rebuilding their homes.
A Dapu resident in front of the Executive Yuan said people are supposed to be happy and cheerful as the Chinese New Year approaches, but the Dapu residents are worried about the MOI's upcoming decision.
Supporters of the four demolished Dapu households urged the government to rebuild the households on the original sites.
Peng Hsiu-chun (彭秀春), one of the owners of the four demolished households, whose husband was found dead under the Dapu Bridge last September, said the protesters sat in front of the Executive Yuan for three days and three nights last year, but the government did not respond to them at all.
Peng said in a cracked voice that the Dapu land expropriation had destroyed her home and family, and she hopes the government will let them rebuild their homes.
The Cabinet's Ethics Office official Chang Shih-jen (張世仁) received the protesters' spring couplets on behalf of the Executive Yuan but did not issue a comment.