Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.

Gov't survey shows that men spend NT$7,000 more online than women

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- The Research, Development and Evaluation Commission (RDEC) issued its latest findings, showing the difference in online shopping expenses between Taiwanese men and women.

The RDEC held the 2013 Information Technology Executives Joint Conference at the NTUH International Convention Center on Friday, which featured the Executive Yuan's Minister without Portfolio Simon Chang (張善政), Taipei City Deputy Mayor Chen Hsiung-wen (陳雄文) and RDEC Minister Sung Yu-hsieh (宋餘俠) in attendance.

Contrary to popular belief, the 2013 Digital Opportunity Survey Results presented during the conference revealed that men outspend women in online shopping expenses by NT$7,000. The survey showed that men spend NT$20,119 online on average, whereas women spend NT$13,370.

According to the survey, the highest difference in online spending ratio of men and women is between NT$1,001 to NT$5,000 for men, and NT$5,001 to NT$10,000 for women. Women drastically lead men in purchasing merchandise higher in value. However, as the value of merchandise surpasses NT$10,000, so does the amount spent by male shoppers. Men have shown to make expensive purchases online likely due to the comfort and knowledge on IT gadgets. Six and a half percent of men from the survey are prone to purchases of over NT$100,000 compared to women who stand at a mere 1.9 percent. The female demographic is also shown to be more prone and accepting toward group purchases and online advertisements. However, the demographic is also more cautious and alert toward online auctioneers compared to men.

The survey also conducted research which showed men to be the more active participants involved in online forums. From the latest media to government politics, men spend more time online to participate in discussions and debates than women.

Finally, the survey also showed that 43 percent of the population above the age of 50 have experience using the Internet, with the demographic focused in Taipei. The other 57 percent, when questioned as to why they've never used the Internet, admitted either not knowing how to do so or lacking the motivation. Fifty- to 69-year-olds are also more accepting toward the use of smartphones over tablet computers, the survey indicated, with the result reversed in the population over 70.

Write a Comment
CAPTCHA Code Image
Type in image code
Change the code
 Receive China Post promos
 Respond to this email
Subscribe  |   Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Career  |   Contact Us
Sitemap  |   Top Stories  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |   Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary
Travel  |   Movies  |   TV Listings  |   Classifieds  |   Bookstore  |   Getting Around  |   Weather  |   Guide Post  |   Student Post  |   English Courses  |   Terms of Use  |   Sitemap
  chinapost search