Troops to remain on two Kinmen islands: premier
CNATAIPEI--Taiwan will continue to station troops on two of its frontline islets, although the number might be reduced, Premier Jiang Yi-huah said Friday, effectively rebutting earlier suggestions that the otherwise uninhabited islets will be turned over to control by the coast guard and the police.
October 26, 2013, 12:04 am TWN
While not ruling out the opening of Dadan and Erdan islets to tourists, Jiang said there is still a need for a troop presence for the time being.
Answering questions at the Legislative Yuan, Jiang said a decision on whether to allow tourists to see around the docks or other specific points of interest is expected after a fact-finding mission planned for the next few days.
Officials had said earlier that at the request of the authorities of Kinmen County — of which Erdan and Dadan are a part —the two islets are expected to be opened to tourists next year, with their 200 troops to be replaced by some 40 Coast Guard and police personnel.