Changchi chief's bank accounts frozen
By Katherine Wei ,The China PostTAIPEI, Taiwan -- The Changhua District Prosecutors Office yesterday clamped down on Kao Cheng-li (高振利), head of Tatung Changchi Foodstuff Factory Co. (大統長基食品), freezing 12 bank accounts under his name as well as seizing 20 plots of land and nine houses that belong to him.
October 22, 2013, 12:06 am TWN
According to prosecutors, Kao and his company are guilty of deception and violation of the Act Governing Food Sanitation.
The income from the tainted products may have been deposited in the bank accounts of Kao and the company, making it necessary for them to be frozen, the prosecutors explained.
“If he owns a safety deposit box at a bank, it will also be illegal for him to remove any item from (the box). We left him with one last bank account in order for him to withdraw sums of money which the company needs to continue operation.”
Prosecutors yesterday interrogated the chairman, stating afterward that Kao had answered all questions willingly.
Another team of prosecutors and investigators went to the company's factory and confiscated another 1000 tons of cottonseed oil.
Flavor Full Foods Probe
Meanwhile, Flavor Full Foods (富味鄉食品公司) yesterday denied allegations that it had produced impure oils.
Upon discovering that the company was responsible for ordering 60 percent of the nation's imported cottonseed oil, the Changhua County Public Health Bureau (CCPHB) sent investigators to the Changhua-based factory to gain an understanding of its manufacturing procedures.
“Of the 7,619 tons of coarse cottonseed oil imported into Taiwan between October 2012 and 2013, 40 percent went to Tatung Changchi Foodstuff Factory Co., while the remaining 60 percent went to Flavor Full Foods. The latter refines coarse oil from Australia and exports it to 26 other countries,” said Deputy Health Minister Hsu Ming-nen (許銘能).
Flavor Full Foods is a major sesame oil manufacturer in Taiwan.
The Ministry of Health and Welfare stated earlier yesterday that the company's products containing cottonseed oil were all exported to foreign firms, but Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chao Tien-lin (趙天麟) pointed out that many of its products were available to Taiwanese shoppers.
The company, however, said that its cottonseed oil was free of gossypol, a natural phenol that may be harmful to the human body when consumed.