Q1 lull to give way to Q2 growth: Powertech
The China Post news staffTAIPEI, Taiwan -- Powertech Technology Inc., which tests and packages memory chips, yesterday gave a downbeat assessment for the first quarter yet said things will improve in the second.
February 6, 2013, 11:33 am TWN
“Gross profit margin for this current quarter will be lackluster,” said Tsai Tu-kung, Powertech chairman, during the firm's quarterly investors' conference.
“The first quarter will be very challenging for the company,” he added. “Yet, after this most difficult time passes, things will begin to improve in the second quarter, in which sales will grow from Q1.”
The firm also yesterday reported its financial results for the fourth quarter of last year.
During the final quarter of 2012, Powertech had sales of NT$10.304 billion, a decline of 3.2 percent quarter-on-quarter and an increase of 6 percent year-on-year. Net profit was NT$582 million, a rise of 1.7 percent from the third quarter and 289.6 percent from the fourth quarter of 2011. The figure translated into earnings per share (EPS) of NT$0.75 for the fourth quarter.
For the whole 2012, the company had consolidated revenue of NT$41.611 billion, a rise of 5.5 percent from NT$39.451 billion for 2011. Net profit was NT$3.611 billion, a decline of 23.9 percent from NT$4.742 billion a year earlier. The figure represented EPS of NT$4.63, a decline from NT$5.93 for 2011.
During the fourth quarter of 2012, chip packaging accounted for 75 percent of the firm's total business, while testing accounted for the rest 25 percent.
By product, business from the memory sector accounted for 48 percent and Flash sector 31 percent.