MOJ to keep asking for Chinese help on fugitive
The China Post news staff
November 3, 2012, 12:03 am TWN
The China Post news staff--The Ministry of Justice (MOJ) yesterday said it will continue to urge Chinese authorities to help send back fugitive tycoon Chen You-hao (陳由豪), who is reportedly moving freely in the mainland.
Since the Cross-Strait Joint Crime-Fighting and Judicial Mutual Assistance Agreement took effect in 2009, Taiwan has officially asked for assistance from authorities in Beijing three times to return the wanted businessmen for trial, the MOJ said in a statement. So far such efforts have been unsuccessful, it added.
The MOJ said it will continue to work with the Cabinet-level Mainland Affairs Council and local judicial authorities to push their Chinese counterparts to apprehend the wanted tycoon as soon as possible.
The MOJ's comment come after Chen was spotted by a local newspaper in Xiamen on China's southeast coast earlier this week.
The former chairman of the now defunct Tuntex Group (東帝士集團) was found throwing a luxurious reunion party with his university classmates at a five-star hotel Monday, the Chinese-language Apple Daily said.
Chen has reportedly owned petrochemical and real estate businesses in Xiamen for several years, the report said.
The 72-year-old was indicted on charges of breach of trust and reportedly left Taiwan in August 2002. He has been accused of stealing about NT$800 million from the Tuntex Group's subsidiary Tunghua Development in 1995 and investing the money in China.
He has been on the country's most wanted list since 2003.
MOST POPULAR OF THIS SECTION