Prosecutors consider next step in Lin Yi-shih case
The China Post news staffThe China Post news staff--Prosecutors said that they will study other legal options after a panel of three judges at the Taipei District Court vetoed requests to revoke an earlier bail ruling and place former Cabinet Secretary-General Lin Yi-shih back into detention.
October 29, 2012, 12:13 am TWN
They said they sought to revoke the bail, which had been granted to Lin by a judge at a ruling last week, to prevent his possible escape or collusion with other suspects or accomplices related to corruption activities in which he has been allegedly involved.
The panel of three judges upheld the bail ruling yesterday following two days of review and deliberation, saying the prosecutors did not present any new evidence supporting their request to put Lin back into custody.
A spokesman at the Special Investigation Division (SID) said yesterday that further action would be taken after prosecutors thoroughly study the latest court ruling.
The SID is in charge of the prosecution and insists that Lin must be kept in custody considering the seriousness of the crimes he allegedly committed.
Lin was released on Oct. 26 after three months in detention when his family raised the required NT$50 million bail.
The court ruling requires Lin to report to the nearest police station in his residential area every day as proof that he has not fled.
Accompanied by his wife, Peng Ai-chia, Lin reported to police officers near his home on Saturday as required.
The two made another brief appearance at the police station again yesterday.
Lin, who seemed to be more relaxed than earlier, declined to comment in response to reporters' questions while at the station.
The SID has made public the 177-page indictment for corruption and scams in which Lin and his family members were allegedly involved in.