Justin Lee denies date-rape charges
The China Post news staff Saturday, September 1, 2012, 12:04 am TWN
The China Post news staff--Alleged serial rapist Justin Lee denied yesterday that he had sexually assaulted any women, saying all such instances were consensual. He also said that he was neither protected nor threatened by any gangsters.
But Lee, also known as Lee Zhong-rui, did not answer prosecutors' questions about whether there were accomplices and how the sex videos featuring him and several women — including celebrities — were leaked.
Officials from the Taipei Prosecutors Office summoned Lee and his girlfriend, Joyce Lai, for further questioning concerning several women dated by Lee but who later said they had been drugged and raped.
Lee, 27 and described by local media as "rich" and a "spoiled dandy boy" who received pocket money of NT$600,000 per month, repeated again that he was not aided by members of criminal organizations when he went into hiding before turning himself in on Aug. 23.
He also was not approached or blackmailed by any gangsters allegedly hired by some of the alleged victims, he said.
Sources have said, however, that some part of Lee's statements contradicted answers provided by his girlfriend.
Prosecutors declined to give details on the reported contradictions, but did say that Lee insisted there were accomplices who were supposed to have helped record the sex acts.
Lee was retained in custody for further investigation.
The prosecutors also summoned three editors and reporters who published in their local newspaper photos captured leaked sex videos.
They were called for interviews for possibly obstruction, said prosecutors.
The three argued that they only gathered the news and pictures, and were in no position to decide on whether these should be published.
It was up to their superiors to publish the photos, but they said that they had no idea who made the final decision.
They were allowed to leave on bail ranging from NT$20,000 to NT$40,000 each.
Several journalists from another local Chinese-language daily were also questioned earlier by prosecutors about how they came to possess the sex videos. The newspaper also used the clips to publish similar photos, drawing protests from some of the alleged victims.
MOST POPULAR OF THIS SECTION