Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.

Diane Lee resigns in citizenship row

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Lawmaker Diane Lee of the ruling Kuomintang yesterday announced her resignation from the legislature, citing the dispute over her alleged dual citizenship.

Lee's qualification as a legislator has been challenged since it was reported early last year that she had never officially renounced her U.S. citizenship even though she has assumed public office in Taiwan since 1994.

Taiwan's Nationality Act requires those with dual nationality to renounce their foreign citizenship before assuming public office and to obtain a certificate testifying to the loss of foreign citizenship within one year of their inauguration.

The law also requires that public officials holding foreign citizenship be removed from their posts.

Lee chose to quit her job mainly to deny the opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) the opportunity to use the dispute over her alleged dual citizen to boycott the screening of central government expense budget bill for 2009, thus triggering conflicts between KMT and DPP lawmakers.

The DPP vowed on Friday to mobilize supporters to blockade the Legislature Building for failing to swiftly handle Lee's alleged dual citizen case. Supporters were asked to gather in front of the Legislature building on Friday morning for an around-the-clock blockade to exert pressure on lawmakers over the Lee case.

DPP lawmakers also threatened to file a complaint with prosecutors against Foreign Minister Francisco Ou, whom they accused of mishandling the Lee case.

Despite Lee's resignation, the DPP's plan to blockade the Legislative Building will continue as scheduled, according to DPP sources.

Cheng Wen-tsan, publicity chief of the DPP, said it's too late for Lee to quit, because her case has lingered for over 300 days, leading to a serious waste of social cost. Both Lee and the KMT should apologize to the public for Lee's undesirable practices.

Meanwhile, Speaker Wang Jin-pyng of the Legislative Yuan said, "I don't expect Lee's resignation, but I respect her decision to quit. Everybody should be responsible for what he or she has done."

Lee's resignation became valid immediately after the resignation document reached Wang's hands later yesterday afternoon.

Lee also called Wang to express her gratitude to him for taking care of her over the past 10-odd years in the legislature. She also called chairman Wu Po-hsiung of the KMT about her resignation.

Lawmaker Chang Shou-wen, convener of the legislative caucus of the KMT, said the KMT caucus respects her decision and wishes her good luck.

After Lee's resignation, a by-election in the constituent of Daan and Wenshan districts will be held within three months. Both KMT and DPP are expected to field strong candidates for the election.

January 9, 2009    nancy.h.c@
Wise act on the part of Diana Lee, and this should end the case gracefully. Now, anti-corruption forces must field one single, unified candidate for the by-election, and do not give the DPP and their supporters any chance.
January 10, 2009    jesusisincontrol77@
nancy.h.c@ wrote:
Wise act on the part of Diana Lee, and this should end the case gracefully. Now, anti-corruption forces must field one single, unified candidate for the by-election, and do not give the DPP and their supporters any chance.
I am happy that she is resigning and she should also quit. She should just tell the truth that she does still have a US passport. I tell the citizens of Taiwan never vote for the KMT but vote for the DPP. President Ma still holds a Green Card & he should resign. He isn't fit to be president either. He & Diane Lee should owe the public an apology. Down with he KMT!
January 10, 2009    mcwizard@
It is a pity that the DPP is getting away with attacking this progressive legislator, when a majority of DPP members have already moved their money and families to the USA, Canada, New Zealand, or Australia. They can bail out in a moment. What a bunch of selfish loud mouth bores.
January 11, 2009    jesusisincontrol77@
Good for her. She should have done that years ago. Shame on her & the KMT. DPP rules!
January 12, 2009    cigars898@
mcwizard@ wrote:
It is a pity that the DPP is getting away with attacking this progressive legislator, when a majority of DPP members have already moved their money and families to the USA, Canada, New Zealand, or Australia. They can bail out in a moment. What a bunch of selfish loud mouth bores.
Oh really? Who? A majority? Hmmmm...
January 13, 2009    npeobam123@
Very similar to the U.S. President-Elect Obama. He too had Dual Citizenship, but his was at birth, which is/was not a qualified status. One has to wonder if he too, like Lee, will step down under pressure.
February 1, 2009    haorussell@
jesusisincontrol77@ wrote:
Good for her. She should have done that years ago. Shame on her & the KMT. DPP rules!
It’s only normal to have dual citizenship nowadays. Jesus has dual religions too, one Christian and one Jewish...KMT rules.
February 2, 2009    getboba@
 
jesusisincontrol77@ wrote:
I am happy that she is resigning and she should also quit. She should just tell the truth that she does still have a US passport. I tell the citizens of Taiwan never vote for the KMT but vote for the DPP. President Ma still holds a Green Card & he should resign. He isn't fit to be president either. He & Diane Lee should owe the public an apology. Down with he KMT!
If Taiwan is filled with people like you, the future of this country would surely be hopeless...I'm not even sure Jesus can save a nation of simpletons that lack any semblance of good judgment.
Write a Comment
CAPTCHA Code Image
Type in image code
Change the code
 Receive China Post promos
 Respond to this email
Diane Lee resigns in citizenship row
Lawmaker Diane Lee of the ruling Kuomintang announces her resignation from the legislature over a controversy regarding her dual citizenship, at a press conference yesterday ...

Enlarge Photo
Subscribe  |   Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Career  |   Contact Us
Sitemap  |   Top Stories  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |   Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary
Travel  |   Movies  |   TV Listings  |   Classifieds  |   Bookstore  |   Getting Around  |   Weather  |   Guide Post  |   Student Post  |   Terms of Use  |   Sitemap
  chinapost search