Prosecutors close probe into TRTC in MRT stabbing case
By Chi-hao James Lo, The China Post
July 22, 2014, 12:02 am TWN
The New Taipei District Prosecutor's Office (NTDPO) yesterday closed their ongoing investigation into the Taipei Rapid Transit Corporation (TRTC), finding no incriminating evidence on the corporation in the Taipei Metro stabbing case.
The NTDPO is in charge of prosecuting the MRT stabbing case and indicted Cheng Chieh (鄭捷) yesterday on charges of murder and attempted murder, asking the court to impose the death penalty if Cheng is found guilty.
After families of the stabbing victims filed claims against the TRTC and the Rapid Transit Division of the Taipei City Police Department, as well as the TRTC's Industrial Safety Division section manager Lin Hsien-liang (林賢樑), Train Operations Division Control Center chief operator Yang Tsung-che (楊宗哲), MRT Jiangzicui Station station master Feng Yi-chang (馮貽昌) and metro train operator Lin Ming-hsien (林明賢), the NTDPO also conducted investigations centering on the to be sued parties as part of the stabbing incident probe.
Following investigations, the NTDPO found no incriminating evidence that would hold the TRTC and the Rapid Transit Police accountable, which prompted the NTDPO to close the cases on the company and the police division.
The NTDPO also ruled not to prosecute the four individuals, freeing them of the charges of negligent homicide, negligence resulting in bodily harm and disaster as a result of occupational negligence from civil servants.
The TRTC released a statement saying that it respects the investigation results of the NTDPO, and made no further comments on the matter.
Victims' Families Unsatisfied with Assailant's Family, TRTC
Following the NTDPO's official indictment and death penalty request, the majority of the families of Cheng's victims stated that they are unsatisfied with the assailant's family and the TRTC.
The families stated that Cheng's family has yet to apologize to the families of the victims, and hasn't so much as made one phone call. The husband of victim Pan Pi-chu (潘碧珠) said that even if Cheng was to receive ten thousand death sentences, it still wouldn't suffice.
The mother of victim Chang Cheng-han (張正翰) told local press that death penalties will not bring back her son, and that the family is not happy with the lack of responsibility from the TRTC.
Chang's mother said that her husband had been suppressing his emotions to the point where he had to undergo gallstone removal surgery following her son's funeral, which was the last time she saw or heard from the TRTC.