Taipei dismisses allegations of port pollution from reclamation project
The China Post news staffTAIPEI, Taiwan -- The materials used for Port of Taipei's land reclamation projects are safe, the city's environmental authorities said yesterday, dismissing allegations they would be a source of pollution.
January 3, 2013, 12:02 am TWN
The materials from the dump site at Taipei's Neihu District are certified as safe before being shipped to the reclamation projects at Bali, New Taipei, the capital city's environmental bureau said.
The bureau was responding to allegations by a magazine report that said the materials from the dump site were toxic, and would pollute the sea.
The bureau noted that the dump site — which had been mainly for the city's household garbage — was closed in 1985. After so many years, the garbage has decomposed to a stable state, it said.
The city began removing the garbage from the site in 2006 and after a hiatus the removal restarted in March 2009.
So far 370,000 cubic meters of materials from the site have been shipped to the port projects since July 2012, when such shipments started, the bureau said.
The bureau added that the dump site will be transformed into an ecological park after the garbage is all removed.