6 injuries reported in Nantou accident at amusement park
The China Post news staff
February 11, 2014, 12:10 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- The Formosan Aboriginal Culture Village (FACV, 九族文化村), a famous amusement park in Nantou County (南投縣), allegedly experienced a gas explosion yesterday, causing six injuries suffered by two employees and four tourists. The FACV denied the incident was the result of a gas leak.
The six injured victims were sent to the Puli Christian Hospital (埔里基督教醫院) for treatment, the FACV said, noting that the two female employees suffered from second-degree burns and have been transferred to the Taichung Veterans General Hospital. The four tourists only experienced minor injuries and have been discharged from the hospital, the amusement park said.
FACV marketing department manager Huang Jui-chi (黃瑞奇) explained the incident, saying that a female employee accidentally knocked over a boiling pot at a stall in the food court yesterday afternoon.
Noting that the two female employees were injured by the hot soup, Huang said the four tourists accidentally hit other objects when trying to avoid the pot, which resulted in minor lacerations on their heads and bodies.
The amusement park said it will cooperate with any investigation of the case and handle any compensation, stressing that at the same time it will enhance safety measures in the park to avoid any similar incidents in the future.
The Central News Agency (CNA) quoted a tourist who witnessed the incident saying that there was a strong smell of gas before the incident, and several people told employees of the food stall but were ignored. The tourist said everyone heard a "bang" when the incident happened.
The Nantou County Fire Department's Second District Chief Wu Chia-hung (吳嘉宏) said that based on initial findings, there was no sign of a gas explosion, noting that the cause of the incident is possibly a cooking accident, but the case requires further investigation.