Taiwan factory in Vietnam struck by poisoning, again
May 20, 2014, 12:06 am TWN
HANOI -- A Taiwanese-invested shoe factory in central Vietnam was reportedly hit by collective poisoning on Monday, the second such incident at the plant within four days.
Several hundred workers at Hong Fu Vietnam Footwear Co. factory in Thanh Hoa Province were hospitalized after developing itchy throats, dizziness and vomiting, with some fainting, according to an online report on the news website daviet.vn.
As of 11 a.m., more than 400 workers had been rushed to local hospitals, the report said, noting that the symptoms the patients suffered from were the same as those experienced by 735 workers at the same plant who were hospitalized for poisoning on May 15.
Citing local officials who described the latest accident as collective poisoning, the report said the officials suspected chemical shoe glue was the culprit.
The glue melted during hot weather, producing toxic gases which took their toll on factory workers who inhaled the gas, according to the officials.