Government slams NK nuclear explosion
The China Post news staff and CNATAIPEI, Taiwan -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) yesterday expressed concern over North Korea's recent third nuclear test, which is in violation of United Nation Security Council guidelines.
February 13, 2013, 1:28 am TWN
North Korea conducted its third nuclear test at 11:57 a.m. yesterday, most likely at the Punggye-ri test-site located in the country's northeast.
Reports from South Korea, China, Russia, and the United States Geological Survey indicate that seismic activity equivalent to an earthquake of 5.1 magnitude was recorded at the same time.
The Ministry of National Defense said it is aware of the development and is vigilantly monitoring the situation.
MOFA said North Korea's recent satellite launch and repeated nuclear tests have been drawing the ire of the international community, and in the face of global concern such acts are considered provocation.
MOFA also reiterated Taiwan's stance of denuclearization in Asia, and urged the use of diplomatic dialogue to peacefully resolve the situation.
Citing United Nations Security Council resolutions 1718, 1974 and 2087, MOFA urged Pyongyang to immediately cease any acts of aggressive provocation that may jeopardize the region's security, and disrupt the stability and prosperity of the Korean Peninsula and the greater East Asian region.
Meanwhile, Premier Sean Chen indicated that he had been in contact with officials from foreign offices in neighboring South Korea and Japan.
North Korea's first nuclear test took place in 2006. It was detected by the International Monitoring System, a worldwide network of observation technology tasked to help verify the compliance of The Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty. North Korea's second nuclear test was in May of 2009, when seismic shockwaves associated with the test was detected.