Gov't to approve topless show at Grand Hotel
The China Post news staff
January 19, 2010, 9:44 am TWN
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Government agencies reacted positively yesterday following Grand Hotel's (圓山大飯店) announced plan to introduce topless shows as early as during the Chinese New Year, local media reported.
The Grand Hotel now has the 88-minute Marvellous covered cabaret show that takes place every night at 8 p.m. since last October.
The Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) approved the show's extended work permit, which expired at the end of last year.
ART Orient Entertainment (藝眾國際娛樂), which introduced the show to Taiwan, had applied to be the pioneer that brings long-term topless shows to local stages.
The company pleaded the government not to reject the proposal without thorough consideration, and cited the shows in Las Vegas and "Moulin Rough" in Paris to say its move is to keep up with international-scale performances, said Apple Daily.
ART Orient added that the topless dance would take up only five to 10 minutes in each show, according to the current performance plans.
CLA has yet confirmed the decision and said that it has consulted other government agencies for related legal issues and will make the decision within two weeks.
CLA, which had previously issued permit for topless performances tours in 2005 and 2006, reiterated that the office said it would not have prior judgment to the topless show.
The consulted offices including Ministry of Education (MOE), Ministry of Transportation and Communication, National Police Agency (NPA), National Immigration Agency, Council for Cultural Affairs (CCA).
The initial responses from the offices seemed positive, said the report, adding that MOE and CCA did not comment on the proposal.
The transportation ministry said the office respect any forms of performances as long as they abided by regulations, said the report.
The ongoing cabaret show has a daily box office of only 40 percent, said TVBS, adding that the entertainment company hoped to boost the record with the aid of the topless scenes.
Yet the transition might draw criticism over moral values. Law enforcement will not ban the performance before it starts, said NPA.
NPA added that the office would only take actions when audience reports the show's violation of public decency.
The entertainment company reaffirmed that audience under 18 would not be allowed in the venue once the proposal is passed.
The Grand Hotel, which provides the performance venue, was cited as saying that it would like to offer more entertainment options for its guests, said Apple Daily.
Meanwhile, the hotel, known for its palace-like architecture, has drafted a project with a budget of NT$500 million to modernize the facilities in response to Chinese tourists' criticism over its aging features.