Tokyo, Osaka most sought after trips in Japan for locals
May 22, 2014, 12:03 am TWN
TAIPEI -- The most popular destinations for Taiwanese travelers to Japan are, unsurprisingly, Tokyo and Osaka.
A Japanese government report said that Tokyo saw the most Taiwanese visitors of any Japanese region last year, followed by Osaka Prefecture, neighboring Kyoto Prefecture, and Chiba Prefecture in the east, with the far northern island of Hokkaido coming in fifth.
The report was translated into Chinese by the Interchange Association, Japan, which represents Japan's interests in Taiwan in the absence of formal ties.
Statistics show a record high of 2.21 million Taiwanese went to Japan in 2013.
More than half of them were women, the majority of whom were 20-30 years old, according to the report.
The figures showed that 54.3 percent of Taiwanese nationals visited on their own, while the remaining 45.7 percent came in tour groups.
As for shopping habits, Taiwanese visitors like Japanese candies, cookies and snacks, apparel, and over-the-counter drugs the most.