Federer confesses to mistakes, vows to keep playing
AFPBASEL -- Roger Federer admitted on Sunday that he made serious errors in his planning which have contributed to a disastrous 2013 campaign but insisted that retirement is not on his agenda.
October 22, 2013, 12:06 am TWN
The 17-time Grand Slam title winner has slumped to number eight in the world, his lowest point in more than a decade, and failed to make a final at any of the four majors, a run of disappointments that has led many in the sport to predict the end of the road for the 32-year-old.
The Swiss, who split last week with coach Paul Annacone after more than three years, confessed that he could have done things differently.
“I played matches that I should never have played,” said Federer, ahead of his participation in his home Swiss Indoors event which starts on Monday.
“I should have left in Indian Wells (last March, with back pain) before the quarter-finals against (fellow Swiss Stanislas) Wawrinka. This summer, I should not have tried to play on clay in Hamburg and in Gstaad.”
“But things always look better in hindsight. I wasn't able to train as I wanted during my seven-week break following Indian Wells, I fell into a negative spiral.”
Despite his wretched year and seeing rivals Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray carve up the majors, Federer insists that he will keep playing.
“As long as my body and mind is ready to go to travel, I'm happy to be doing what I'm doing, I'm successful. I'll be playing for some time. That hasn't changed due to a tough six months,” he added.
“Playing at the Rio Olympics is something I'd like to achieve. That doesn't mean I'm going to end my career there, or earlier or later. It's just an idea.”
Federer also said that his decision to split with Annacone — the man who helped Pete Sampras to greatness — was amicable.