Nadal out of Brazil Open doubles over knee fear
AFPSAO PAULO, Brazil--Rafael Nadal will not play his scheduled doubles match at the Brazil Open on Wednesday because of “knee overuse,” organizers said.
February 15, 2013, 12:04 am TWN
But they said the Spanish star intends to play his opening singles match Thursday against Brazilian Joao Souza.
World number five Nadal had been scheduled to team up with Argentina's
David Nalbandian in a second-round encounter against Argentine Horacio Zeballos and Oliver Marach of Austria.
Former world number one Nadal only returned to the tour in Chile last week, where he lost in the final, after a seven-month injury absence.
“Nadal thought it was preferable to stay in his hotel and prepare for his
singles match tomorrow,” a Brazil Open spokesman told AFP.
“He discussed the issue with Nalbandian and the two agreed not to play the doubles. It was a joint decision.”
Nalbandian told reporters the conditions were “very difficult.”
“The court is not in the best condition and the ball is very difficult to
control,” he added.
“It's too bad I cannot play the doubles after the match Rafa and I had
(yesterday)... But he has to take care of himself and prepare for a long and
“If my knee allows, I will do everything possible to be at my best,” he
Menawhile Nadal said Tuesday that he plans to play in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, adding that it would likely mark his last time at the games.