News Videos
International Edition


June 28, 2017

Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.
About Us
Contact Us

Greenwood denies Wigan top spot

LONDON -- Joe Greenwood left it late before crossing for the decisive try Monday that boosted St Helens' play-off push while also keeping local rivals Wigan Warriors off the top of Super League.

Drop goals from Matty Smith and former Wests Tiger Pat Richards looked to have earned Wigan a draw that would have returned them to the top of the table.

But Greenwood went over under the posts with three minutes remaining to seal a dramatic 22-16 victory at Langtree Park and keep Saints seventh.

With Sam Tomkins and Sean O'Loughlin both rested for Wigan's Challenge Cup semifinal against London Broncos it was Saints that made the fast start.

Adam Swift's first-half double raced the hosts into a 12-0 lead but Richards and then Josh Charnley, who scored two tries of his own, turned the game on its head around the interval.

And after Smith and Richards both slotted drop-goals to seemingly earn a draw it was left to Greenwood who barged over after a fine break from Tommy Makinson.

Afterwards man-of-the-match Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook called on his teammates to use the result as motivation for their play-off push at the end of the season.

"That was a good win," said the St Helens prop.

"We had a week long preparation for this game and I think that showed, I thought we looked fit and healthy.

"Wigan have got a big game coming up this week but we stuck to the plan that Browny gave us and we looked like a really good side.

"Hopefully this win will push us on, we have got a week off now and then we go to Perpignan which is definitely not going to be a walk in the park."

On Sunday Danny Brough was the star of the show for Huddersfield Giants who moved to the top of the table with a hard-fought 48-32 win against Castleford Tigers.

Brough scored 20 points, including a first-half blitz that saw him score a try and convert all six Giants scores, as the home side survived a late Cas comeback.

Aaron Murphy and Ben Blackmore both went over twice for the Giants but after former Parramatta Eel Weller Hauraki went over for the Tigers in the second half the score was back to 36-28 with a quarter of an hour to go.

But Murphy made sure of the win late on as the Giants continue to impress in Super League this year.

Warrington Wolves are keeping pace with the Giants though as Brett Hodgson inspired the Wire to a 34-6 win over Hull KR.

The former Wests Tiger scored a try and kicked four goals but it took until the second half for Tony Smith's side to do the damage against the Robins, Michael Monaghan crossing for the final score of the match.

On Friday, Jarrod Sammutt's remarkable try-scoring season continued but it took a late Luke Gale drop goal to secure Bradford Bulls a 19-12 win over Hull FC.

Defending champions Leeds Rhinos ended Wakefield Trinity Wildcats's four-match winning run in a tense Yorkshire derby settled by Ryan Hall's late try for a 20-18 win.

Stephen Wild's second-half try proved decisive as Salford City Reds beat Catalan Dragons 16-12 for their first win at the Salford City Stadium since April.

And Adam Lawton notched a hat trick as Widnes Vikings beat London Broncos 38-12 to keep Tony Rea's side rooted to the foot of the table.

Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Contact Us
Home  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |  
Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary Travel  |   Movies  |   Guide Post  |   Terms of Use  |  
  chinapost search