Precautions for Ebola put into place at Youth Olympics
August 16, 2014, 12:02 am TWN
NANJING -- Athletes from the Ebola-affected region of Africa will be excluded from combat sports and aquatic events at the Youth Olympic Games which start Saturday.
The International Olympic Committee and local organizers in China issued a joint statement Friday saying they had worked out a safety policy in conjunction with the World Health Organization.
“We have been reassured by the health authorities that there have been no suspected cases and that the risk of infection is extremely unlikely,” the statement said. “Together we have developed a policy which balances the health needs of all, with respect for the rights of the young athletes from the region.”
Sierra Leone's National Olympic Committee said earlier this week it has been asked not to send a delegation travel to China. The IOC said all delegations are welcome, although athletes from the affected region will be subject to regular temperature and physical assessments.
More than 1,000 people have died in an Ebola outbreak in West Africa that has touched Sierra Leone, Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria. The outbreak has forced qualifiers for football's Africa Cup of Nations to be moved from the affected countries.
The 12-day Youth Olympics are expected to attract more than 3,000 athletes from around the world, from the ages of 15 to 18.
The exclusions from combat sports and aquatic events are only expected to affect three athletes.
“We regret that due to this issue some young athletes may have suffered twice, both from the anguish caused by the outbreak in their home countries and by not being able to compete in the Youth Olympic Games,” the IOC statement said.
Chinese authorities say they're fully prepared should any outbreak occur.