F1 team Toro Rosso stick with young guns for 2013
November 2, 2012, 12:12 am TWN
PARIS -- Italian Formula One outfit Toro Rosso announced on Wednesday they were retaining both Australian Daniel Ricciardo and his French teammate Jean-Eric Vergne for the 2013 season.
Ricciardo, 23, has enjoyed a much happier season with the team — an affiliate of defending constructors champions Red Bull — than he did with HRT last year, finishing ninth four times so far to register nine points.
Vergne, 22, has had a solid rookie season claiming three eighth places to sit one place above his teammate on 12 points.
"Toro Rosso is happy to confirm that it will continue with its present pilots Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne for the Formula One 2013 season," read a statement from the team.
Team director Franz Tost said it was a deserved reward for the two young drivers.
"They have both done a good job this season," he said.
"Since the midseason break, both of them have scored points and everyone in the team has been impressed by their maturity in both collaborating with the engineers and their competence on the track."
Ricciardo was ecstatic to have had his contract renewed.
"I am really pumped to know that I am continuing with Scuderia Toro Rosso for another season and want to thank the team and Red Bull," said Ricciardo.
"There are big expectations for next year and I'm ready and willing to fulfill them.
"I feel I have been growing and developing as a driver and my approach to the technical side of the sport has also progressed this year, so I am sure that will serve me well in my second season with Toro Rosso."
Toro Rosso are presently ninth in the constructors championship with 21 points heading into this weekend's race the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.