Bettman, NHL make new offer in hope of full season
October 18, 2012, 12:06 am TWN
TORONTO -- Talks between the NHL and the players' association are about to hit overdrive.
After watching 34 days pass without a new proposal being offered from either side in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement, the NHL stepped up on Tuesday morning and gave the whole labor process a jumpstart.
Commissioner Gary Bettman made a new offer to the players' association that proposes a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenue and a full 82-game season starting Nov. 2.
As talks resumed for the first time since last week between the league and the NHLPA, Bettman proudly announced the offer, which is crafted for — if nothing else — a quick response from the head of the players' association, Donald Fehr, followed by some serious negotiations either here or in New York.
“It was done,” Bettman said, “in the spirit of getting a deal done.”
Fehr told reporters that the proposal is for six years. Bettman did not confirm that number.
“Our hope,” he said, “after we review this is that there will be a feeling on the players' side that this will be a proposal from which we can negotiate and try and reach a conclusion.”
When asked if the new proposal was an improvement over previous offers made by the NHL, Fehr said: “In some respects I think it is. In other respects, I'm not sure. We have to look at it.”
The NHL locked out its players on Sept. 15, and the regular season was scheduled to begin on Oct. 11. A Nov. 2 start date would extend the season well into June, but would preserve some of the marquee events, such as the Jan. 1 Winter Classic in Michigan.
“I don't want to get into the substance other than to say we believe that this was a fair offer for a long-term deal, and it's one that we hope gets a positive reaction,” Bettman said. “We have about nine or ten days to get this all put to bed, signed, sealed and delivered, in order for this offer to be effective and for us to move forward.”