Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.

Yani Tseng refused offer to become Chinese citizen

Taiwanese golfer Yani Tseng recently rejected a five-year NT$1-billion sponsorship deal offered by a Chinese enterprise, which required her to become a Chinese citizen, her father was cited as saying yesterday.

The business, which had been trying to woo the star golfer since last year, approached her again last month with a five-year contract worth US$25 million, plus the use of private jets and a luxury villa in Beijing, the father was quoted by Apple Daily as saying.

But the deal came with an extra term requiring Tseng to change her nationality to Chinese.

“We cannot change the nationality,” the father, Tseng Mao-hsin, was cited saying. “So we rejected it right away.”

The golfer currently is number four in the LPA ranking, having won many important championships.

Apple Daily said the Chinese enterprise hoped that Tseng could represent China in the 2016 Olympics.

Hsu Ya-tien, head of Taiwan's golf association, questioned the motives of the China offer.

Hsu said Tseng is Taiwan's most prized player, and the association would be glad to see a “pure commercial deal” done.

But if the goal is to make her play for China, the association would never make any compromises, Hsu said.

September 19, 2010    asiaasiaasiaasia@
She is already a Chinese citizen - her passport says she is a citizen of the Republic of China.
September 19, 2010    reddoc46@
How sad is this? China cannot grow and nurture its own golfers.........so what do they do?
A word of advice to China........Grow up and get real! Your money can't buy everything. The behavior is disgusting as it is insulting.
October 22, 2010    vincent12@
@asiaasiaasiaasia

Whatever how fiercely language you have spoken out, it will never change the fact that "Taiwan citizen" is not China citizen. Please wake up and grow up. :)
October 24, 2010    hsiehmingyu@
Taiwan is Taiwan; China is China.
February 20, 2011    joesun369@
The Chinese billionaire trying to buy over Taiwan's Tseng just like they collect the Chinese antique around the world in order to please Chinese Authority.
February 27, 2011    jeffreyhsiao_gundam@
@ asiaasiaasiaasia

You’re obviously retarded lol. ROC and PRC are two entirely separate entities. ROC's citizens may be Chinese in ethnicity, but not in nationality. Please get your facts right before you embarrass yourself again :)
June 28, 2011    nomore543@
Lots of applauses to Yani Tseng as she expressed her Taiwanese identity over conspiracy disguised as business offer at a time when so many bow to Chinese tricks, threats, or sweeten offers. Yani you have stood tall and shining, rather than to become a future propaganda of China.
August 2, 2011    threethree@
Taiwan has always been a province of China and by extension, all Taiwanese are China men/women. Only illiterate morons ignore this historical fact sans civil war.

Attempting to regard Taiwan separately from China is like saying Texas is not part of the USA just because the south fought against the north in the American Civil war.
August 2, 2011    kase.richard@
I don’t know if her motivation was meant to be political.

I think China Wants Taiwan and they almost have her. I mean Taiwan competed in the Beijing Olympics as Chinese Taipei, along with other international competitions.

The Economics are working behind the scene.

Eventually it will be like Hong Kong. China is waging a war against the west, make no mistake about it. They court world favor and don't understand why the PRC is not loved everywhere.

The PRC is not evil, just clueless, afraid and with a lot of skeletons in its closet.

The same is true of America, yet our skeletons keep coming out!
August 3, 2011    olichu@
@threethree

Sorry to rain on your party but your argument is pretty naive. Your metaphor of the US and Texas with Taiwan and China doesn't even meet the requirements of a metaphor. (Obviously you got a pretty low score on your SAT's). If we used your metaphor then California and all bordering states are part of Mexico. You’re the illogical moron.

Without going into too much detail because we are limited. Texas doesn't have its own sovereign government/ Texas doesn't have their own currency or (separate) judicial system.
August 3, 2011    olichu@
Back to the topic, Yani did the right thing. With what she has already accomplished and her continued success, the 25 million and extras isn't that hard for her to get on her own. A couple of US or Taiwan corporate sponsors and with a few more major open wins. She could get the same and more. By not accepting the offer, Yani will not be under the whimsical command of the Chinese Co. / China.
August 3, 2011    fhc2436@
Yani should switch citizenship because Taiwan doesn’t really appreciate the great accomplishments of their heroes. Look at the reception that she got at the airport when she arrived back from winning the '11 British Open Championship. There were only friends, family, and news media that were there. Where are the fans? Where are the government representatives that should be there to thank her for putting Taiwan out there for the world's attention?

Stupid Korean boy band like "Super Junior" comes to Taiwan, the airport is filled with crazy fans. But the love for Yani is nowhere in sight.

Yani probably wish that she was Japanese. She will definitely be greatly appreciated as a HOME TOWN HERO there. We Taiwanese keep telling ourselves "Love Taiwan!" But when its time to show our love for our local heroes, we have no real interest. Shame on us Taiwanese.
August 3, 2011    eco.danner@
threethree@ wrote:
Taiwan has always been a province of China and by extension, all Taiwanese are China men/women. Only illiterate morons ignore this historical fact sans civil war.

Attempting to regard Taiwan separately from China is like saying Texas is not part of the USA just because the south fought against the north in the American Civil war.
Texas is part of the US because the citizens of The Republic of Texas voted to do so. When the people of Taiwan vote to become a part of the PRC, then they will all be Chinese citizens. Until then, it is a free and independent country.
August 6, 2011    ohnougly@
@threethree

You must be the most ignorant dumb-person-posing-as-a-smart-person ever. Around 70% of all people living in Taiwan has Aboriginal blood. Did you think Taiwan was a ghost island before China brutally overwhelmed it? Get over your false sense of intellect.
August 6, 2011    ludahai_twn@
Always a "province of China"?
What was it before 1885?
What was it from 1895 to 1952?
By what legal mechanism did it "return" to China?
If you can't answer these questions, you have a serious problem.
August 7, 2011    vahiva@
hsiehmingyu@ wrote:
Taiwan is Taiwan; China is China.
And Tibet is Tibet. Free Tibet. Shame on China and Hu Jintao
August 7, 2011    vahiva@
threethree@ wrote:
Taiwan has always been a province of China and by extension, all Taiwanese are China men/women. Only illiterate morons ignore this historical fact sans civil war.

Attempting to regard Taiwan separately from China is like saying Texas is not part of the USA just because the south fought against the north in the American Civil war.
No, it will never like EUA because there you have freedom of speech and on China and Taiwan there is not. Hu Jintao is the father of the devil. China dosen’t respect human rights, so can you see the difference? Tibet is Tibet and will never be part of China. Shame on Chinese citizens and Hu Jintao. Free Tibet and show some respect, now!
August 10, 2011    Upwell@
As always this deeply emotional issue of what Taiwan was, is and will be, bring about very interesting thoughts from all side though sadly the language used could be toned down a bit. Insulting one another's intellect simply adds fuel to the topic. History will tell the tale but sadly some of us will not be there to watch the outcome as to what will happen to Taiwan or for that matter, China itself remember the old Soviet Union broke up too ! Who knows, be that as it may, one thing is true. If what is claimed by the father of this lady golfer is true, she is an admirable person and she calls for all due respect. Very few are there of the human race where the promise of great wealth has not tempted them to compromise with their principles. Whatever this lady thinks and whether what she holds are true, correct or otherwise, she is sticking to her principles and what she treasures. That much she is to be admired. Perhaps we all can do her a favor and leave her to do what she is best in - the game of golf which is not politics. All can be proud of her regardless of her citizenship. She is Chinese and as all people of that race can be whether you are in Taiwan, China or in Europe.
August 14, 2011    joesun369@
Proud to be a Taiwanese. TAIWAN is my country.
August 17, 2011    carltanong@
R.O.C. has Yani Tseng (PROFESSIONAL GOLF CHAMPION).
P.R.O.C. has Li Na (TENNIS PROFESSIONAL CHAMPION) and Yao Ming ( PROFESSIONAL NBA Rockets playing as center).

So.......POLITICS should be separated from PROFESSIONAL SPORTS or even in AMATEUR SPORTS.

Anyway...all 3 of them are professional Chinese sports woman and man, who were born in different provinces and in different times…and under different FLAG.S. But still both FLAGS symbolize that they are CHINESE.

But nipponese ludahai_nippon still thinks TAIWAN belongs to his FATHERLAND Japan.
August 18, 2011    canhly@
joesun369@ wrote:
Proud to be a Taiwanese. TAIWAN is my country.
Yeah your country is run by clueless mobster bi*tching slapping over on tv, looked like bunch a mental midget narrow minded monkeys.
August 18, 2011    hsiehmingyu@
same old same old carltanong...

grow up.
August 19, 2011    olichu@
carltanong@ wrote:
R.O.C. has Yani Tseng (PROFESSIONAL GOLF CHAMPION).
P.R.O.C. has Li Na (TENNIS PROFESSIONAL CHAMPION) and Yao Ming ( PROFESSIONAL NBA Rockets playing as center).

So.......POLITICS should be separated from PROFESSIONAL SPORTS or even in AMATEUR SPORTS.

Anyway...all 3 of them are professional Chinese sports woman and man, who were born in different provinces and in different times…and under different FLAG.S. But still both FLAGS symbolize that they are CHINESE.

But nipponese ludahai_nippon still thinks TAIWAN belongs to his FATHERLAND Japan.
While your at it why not include Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea and all of south east Asia. Shoot! Give me a break. All of them were under the influence of the Chinese. Why stop there. You can include the rest of the world. Carltanong, your a facist!
August 20, 2011    twgogo5757@
Sadly the issue of Taiwan and China either being as one or sole country on its own has been a big debate. I really don't have an answer to this "big" question, maybe because I have mixed feelings about this issue.

Reading from some of the above comments, I feel it has fallen off-topic. This is my view of the situation.

I feel that Yani has made the right decision to represent Taiwan and she has the right to do so. No-one has the right to say who she must represent. I believe she took the honorable decision to stay than be wavered by money or politics. The pride, spirit, perseverance and all that well-being that comes with in sport cannot compare to money and the politics involved and that's that.

In response to my opening paragraph, here is what I have to say. I believe no one should be oppressed by another into something they don't want, but that does not mean they are refrained from keeping an open mind on the matter. I think when making the final decision we should weigh the benefits and consequences in a rational mind keeping in mind a core fundamental on people and behavior. I think not many of us understand people enough to judge, because then we'd only be making a decision through a narrow perspective. If people can co-exist and live prosperously, then I believe its worth fighting for.
September 2, 2011    nomnomnom@
How insulting...
Telling someone to change their identity is just ridiculous.
Taiwanese are Taiwanese and always will be.
Chinese people please refrain from using Taiwanese people. It just makes you look worse.
September 11, 2011    hw3883@
Taiwan is part of China, whether you like it or not. When CKS ran away to Taiwan, he claimed both China and Taiwan as one. So, to those who opposed to this argument, where were you then? Oh, I forgot, perhaps you were not even born then. Or were you the products of those Chinese from Taiwan dressing up as Japanese soldiers and went around South East Asia killing innocent overseas Chinese? This is a commercial decision. Whether the golfer wants to chance her citizenship or not is up to her. Why go on and denouncing China? Every country is doing that. The Philippine government naturalized US citizens so that they can play for the country basketball term. Singapore does the same for their football team. Many European countries do that for their Table Tennis team. This is just sport. Stop insulting China, and others will not do the same on Taiwan.
October 24, 2011    terplaw@
Taiwan is separate and independently distinct from China, whether you like it or not. Why? Because the citizens of Taiwan say so. Only the people of Taiwan can determine their own futures.
Write a Comment
CAPTCHA Code Image
Type in image code
Change the code
 Receive China Post promos
 Respond to this email
 Yani Tseng refused offer to become Chinese citizen 
Taiwanese golfer Yani Tseng speaks during a press conference in Taipei on Tuesday, Sept. 14. (AFP)

Enlarge Photo
Subscribe  |   Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Career  |   Contact Us
Sitemap  |   Top Stories  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |   Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary
Travel  |   Movies  |   TV Listings  |   Classifieds  |   Bookstore  |   Getting Around  |   Weather  |   Guide Post  |   Student Post  |   English Courses  |   Terms of Use  |   Sitemap
  chinapost search