Unbeaten Alvarez to defend welterweight crown Sept. 17
July 28, 2011, 11:28 pm TWN
LOS ANGELES, -- Undefeated Saul Alvarez will defend his World Boxing Council super welterweight title on Sept. 17 at Los Angeles against Mexican compatriot Alfonso Gomez, promoters announced on Tuesday.
The fight, coming during the Mexican Independence Day weekend, will be linked on pay-per-view purchases with unbeaten U.S. star Floyd Mayweather's fight in Las Vegas the same night against American Victor Ortiz.
Alvarez, nicknamed “Canelo” or Cinnamon, is 37-0 with one draw and 27 knockouts. The 21-year-old from Guadalajara won the vacant crown in March with a unanimous 12-round decision over Britain's Matthew Hatton and defended the title last month in his hometown against British southpaw Ryan Rhodes.
“I feel confident I'm going to win,” Alvarez said. “I hope the fight will be explosive because that's what fans will be looking for between two Mexican warriors like us.”
Gomez, also from Guadalajara, is 23-4 with two drawn and 12 knockouts. He is on a five-fight win streak and taking his second shot at a world title.
“I know Canelo's team thinks I'm just another notch on his belt, but it's not the first time a popular fighter made the same mistake,” Gomez said. “I've fought and beaten much better competition and I'm coming to win the world title.”