Get the app

A team's German Cup tie victory has been marred by fan trouble

BERLIN -- Hertha Berlin eventually triumphed 2-0 in a German Cup tie at away to third division Hansa Rostock on Monday in a game marred by crowd trouble.

Twice in the second half, straight after the restart and then again in the 76th minute, the match was halted as fans let off pyrotechnic devices. The second stoppage lasted some 15 minutes as fans burned opposing colours and parts of the Ostsee Stadium were seen on fire.

When play resumed Mitchell Weiser struck a stunning winning goal for Bundesliga Hertha and Vedad Ibisevic tapped in to decide the tie in favour of the capital club.

There were scenes that "no person in a football stadium wants," Hertha sport director Michael Preetz told ARD. Coach Pal Dardai added: "In my life I have never experienced such a thing," while Rostock boss Pavel Dotchev said: "Unfortunately there are always black sheeps who destroy everything."

Earlier new Schalke coach Domenico Tedesco enjoyed a successful debut as his side defeated BFC Dynamo 2-0 in Berlin.

Schalke dominated but needed 78 minutes to break the deadlock which came when Yevhen Konoplyanka got the better of his man on the edge of the box and finished smartly. Konoplyanka sealed the win with a second in the final minute.

Title-holders Borussia Dortmund and Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich secured their places in the August 20 second round draw with wins on Saturday.

A nondescript first half in Rostock was followed by immediate action in the second period as referee Robert Hartmann briefly halted proceedings until fireworks from the visiting fans died out.

Home keeper Janis Blaswich saved a spectacular effort from Salomon Kalou but shortly afterwards Hartmann again had to call the players off as Hansa ultras stormed the segregation gap between the fans to burn a Hertha flag.

The police seemed content not to further inflame the situation which saw large numbers of the home fans seem to turn against their own supporters group for the trouble.

When play eventually resumed, Hansa looked out on their feet as Hertha dominated. Weiser lashed home from a corner in what was the 86th minute of play and Ibisevic, who missed a good chance moments before, rounded off a counter-attack in the dying seconds.

Schalke laboured with the the majority of the possession in the first period but the fourth-tier hosts worked hard to match their Bundesliga opponents.

Early in the second period, Dynamo did call Schalke keeper Ralf Faehrmann into action but this offered only brief respite. At the other end Bernhard Hendl made a fine save from Leon Goretzka to maintain parity

Finally the home resistance cracked when Goretzka fed Konoplyanka and the winger made no mistake. The Ukrainian added another late on and ensured his side progressed.

"It was not a walk in the park for us, but we knew that would be the case from the outset," Tedesco said. "Overall the victory and the place in the next round is deserved, but it was hard work."

Dynamo coach Rene Rydlewicz was proud of his team's effort but had no complaints about the result.

"The bottom line is that our opponent's win was deserved," he said. "At the start we were a little nervous, but we got better as the game went on. We had one or two chances. If one of them had gone in, we might have gotten something from the game."

In other games, Nuremberg won 2-1 at Duisburg with Hanno Behrens and Georg Margreitter netting in the first half. Kevin Wolze's penalty offered only consolation for the hosts.

You may also like...
Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Contact Us
Home  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |  
Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary Travel  |   Movies  |   Guide Post  |   Terms of Use  |  
  chinapost search