International Edition

Thursday

September, 29, 2016

Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.
About Us
Subscribe
Advertise
Contact Us

Missiles batter Aleppo, army readies ground assault

ALEPPO, Syria -- Missiles rained down on rebel-held areas of Syria's Aleppo on Friday, causing widespread destruction that overwhelmed rescue teams, as the army prepared a ground offensive to retake the city.

The intensity of the bombardment, which also included artillery barrages and barrel bombings by helicopters, brought new misery to the estimated 250,000 civilians trapped under siege by the army.

The escalation came after US Secretary of State John Kerry failed to reach agreement with Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on terms to salvage a failed ceasefire, although he said he was ready to try again later on Friday.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitoring group, said Russian warplanes were participating in the raids alongside regime aircraft.

An AFP journalist in rebel-held east Aleppo reported relentless sorties and barrages throughout the night and morning.

Entire apartment blocks were flattened, overwhelming rescue teams from the White Helmets civil defense organization.

In the Al-Kalasseh district, three buildings were levelled by a single strike, and rescue workers were trying frantically to reach survivors using a single bulldozer and their bare hands.

The White Helmets' headquarters in the Ansari district was badly damaged along with an ambulance and a fire engine. A second center operated by the group was also hit.

The Observatory said at least 10 people were killed in the strikes, two of them children, but said more dead were feared buried under the rubble.

Precursor to Ground Operation

The bombardment came a day after the Syrian army announced an offensive to recapture east Aleppo, which has been held by the rebels since mid-2012 but has been surrounded by government forces since July.

The army urged civilians to distance themselves from "the positions of terrorist groups" and pledged that fleeing residents would not be detained.

A high-ranking military source confirmed that the bombardment was in preparation for a ground assault.

"We have begun reconnaissance, aerial and artillery bombardment," he told AFP.

"This could go on for hours or days before the ground operation starts. The timing of the ground operation will depend on the results of the strikes and the situation on the ground."

Another military source in Damascus said "the goal of the operation will be to expand the area under the army's control."

He said reinforcements had already been brought to Aleppo.

Write a Comment
CAPTCHA Code Image
Type in image code
Change the code
 Receive our promos
 Respond to this email
 At UN General Assembly, US and regional powers urge Libya leadership to not fight over oil ports 
A Syrian woman carries the body of her infant after he was retrieved from under the rubble of a building following a reported airstrike on Friday, Sept. 23. (AFP)

Enlarge Photo
Subscribe  |   Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Career  |   Contact Us
Sitemap  |   Top Stories  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |   Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary
Travel  |   Movies  |   TV Listings  |   Classifieds  |   Bookstore  |   Getting Around  |   Weather  |   Guide Post  |   Student Post  |   Terms of Use  |   Sitemap
  chinapost search