Breaking News, World News and Taiwan News.

Al-Qaida not behind Libya attack: report

WASHINGTON--U.S. intelligence agencies have found no evidence that last month's deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was ordered by al-Qaida, The Los Angeles Times reported late Friday.

Citing unnamed U.S. officials and witnesses, the newspaper said the attack, which killed ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, was “carried out following a minimum amount of planning.”

“The attackers exhibited a high degree of disorganization,” the paper quotes one of the intelligence officials as saying.

“Some joined the attack in progress, some did not have weapons and others just seemed interested in looting.”

According to another official cited by the paper, “There isn't any intelligence that the attackers pre-planned their assault days or weeks in advance.”

Most of the evidence suggested that “the attackers launched their assault opportunistically” after learning about the violence at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, The Times quotes the official as saying.

Top Republicans have said President Barack Obama's administration is reluctant to acknowledge the incident was an act of terrorism for political reasons.

But after five weeks of investigation, U.S. intelligence agencies say they have found no evidence of al-Qaida participation, The Times said.

Write a Comment
CAPTCHA Code Image
Type in image code
Change the code
 Receive China Post promos
 Respond to this email
Subscribe  |   Advertise  |   RSS Feed  |   About Us  |   Career  |   Contact Us
Sitemap  |   Top Stories  |   Taiwan  |   China  |   Business  |   Asia  |   World  |   Sports  |   Life  |   Arts & Leisure  |   Health  |   Editorial  |   Commentary
Travel  |   Movies  |   TV Listings  |   Classifieds  |   Bookstore  |   Getting Around  |   Weather  |   Guide Post  |   Student Post  |   English Courses  |   Terms of Use  |   Sitemap
  chinapost search