Scotland Yard investigating new Diana 'murder claim'
By Robin Millard ,AFPLONDON -- British police are examining new information about the death of Diana, princess of Wales, reportedly including an allegation that she was murdered by a member of the British military.
August 19, 2013, 12:02 am TWN
Scotland Yard said on Saturday that detectives were checking the “relevance and credibility” of information received recently about the deaths of the princess and her boyfriend Dodi Fayed in Paris on Aug. 31, 1997.
They were killed in a car crash in an underpass, along with their driver, Henri Paul, when the Mercedes he was driving crashed as it was being pursued by photographers.
Citing a military source, the Sunday Telegraph said the allegation came from the estranged parents-in-law of a member of Britain's special forces, who gave evidence in the trial this year of Danny Nightingale, an SAS soldier convicted of illegally possessing a weapon.
The man said to be the source of the allegations, known only as “Soldier N” in the trial, was himself convicted of illegal weapons possession.
The newspaper reported that his estranged wife's parents wrote to the SAS's commanding officer claiming the soldier had told his wife that the unit had “arranged” Diana's death and that this had been “covered up.”
The information was passed to the police by the Royal Military Police, according to several reports.
Scotland Yard said in a statement: “The Metropolitan Police Service is scoping information that has recently been received in relation to the deaths and assessing its relevance and credibility.
“The assessment will be carried out by officers from the specialist crime and operations command.
“This is not a re-investigation and does not come under Operation Paget.”
Scotland Yard said they were not prepared to discuss the matter further.
Operation Paget was the initial British investigation into claims of a conspiracy to murder Diana and Dodi Fayed that were made by his father, the former owner of the Harrods department store, Mohamed Al-Fayed.
Led by John Stevens, formerly Britain's top policeman, it concluded in 2006 that all the allegations it assessed were without foundation.
This picture taken June 17, 1997 shows Diana, princess of Wales and a key volunteer of the British Red Cross Landmine Campaign, at Red Cross headquarters in Washington. (AFP)