Wednesday, February 3, 2016
Some 94 percent of Moscow city employees ordered to undergo lie-detector tests as part of the fight against corruption passed them, the city government said Monday as it announced that the tests would be used again this year. It did not disclose what happened to the other 6 percent of employees.
Intensifying his political attacks on Russia's opposition, the leader of Russia's Chechnya republic posted a video Monday that appears to show Mikhail Kasyanov, a former prime minister who now heads an opposition party, in the crosshairs of a rifle's scope.
Monday, February 1, 2016
In the last quarter century, at least 2,297 journalists and media staff have been killed for doing nothing more than trying to inform the world on war, revolution, crime and corruption. And killers continue to act with impunity, the International Federation of Journalists announced in a new report.
Sir Terry Wogan, whose warm Irish brogue and sly, gentle humor made him a star of British television and radio for decades, has died. He was 77.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron says he will make universities disclose what proportion of poor and ethnic minority applicants they admit, in an attempt to end racial and class discrimination that "should shame our country and jolt us to action."
Thousands of people marched in the Paris rain on Saturday to denounce plans to renew France's state of emergency and revoke the French citizenship of dual nationals convicted of terrorism.
Sunday, January 31, 2016
A cult leader was sentenced to 23 years in prison Friday for raping and sexually assaulting his female followers and keeping his daughter imprisoned in a secretive Maoist commune in London for three decades.
British Prime Minister David Cameron warned Friday that his nation and the European Union still have serious hurdles to overcome ahead of a mid-February summit at which he hopes to cement reforms that will persuade British voters to stay in the EU.
A sleepy village in central Bulgaria is harnessing the power of celebrities, hoping for an economic revival through art.