US Army sex assault prosecutor suspended for 'groping': officers
By Daniel De Luce, AFP March 8, 2014, 12:00 am TWN
WASHINGTON--The U.S. Army's top prosecutor overseeing sexual assault cases has been suspended over allegations he groped a female lawyer working for him and tried to kiss her, officers said Thursday.
The suspension of Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Morse marks the latest embarrassing setback for the U.S. military as it battles a sexual assault crisis that has sparked calls for a radical overhaul of its judicial system.
The allegations were first reported by the Stars and Stripes newspaper and confirmed to AFP by military officers who spoke on condition of anonymity.
No charges have been filed against Morse, who supervises the army's special victim prosecutors that handle sexual assault, domestic abuse and crimes against children cases.
The female army lawyer has alleged Morse groped her and attempted to kiss her against her will.
The alleged incident took place in 2011 in a hotel room at a sexual assault legal conference in Alexandria, Virginia, officials said, before Morse was named to his current job.
Morse also served as the lead prosecutor in the criminal case against Staff Sergeant Robert Bales, who pleaded guilty to a mass murder of Afghan civilians in 2012.
"We can confirm that this matter is currently under investigation and that the individual in question has been suspended from duties, pending the outcome of the investigation," said a defense official.
Reports of sexual assaults in the U.S. military jumped 60 percent last year, though officials say the surge shows victims have more confidence their cases will be taken seriously.
About 5,400 cases of sexual assault were reported in fiscal year 2013, compared to 3,374 reports in 2012, according to the Pentagon.
There have been a spate of high-profile sexual assault cases in the past two years, leading to a series of initiatives and prompting U.S. President Barack Obama to express outrage over the problem.
A proposal that would have stripped military commanders of the authority to decide if sexual assault cases should go to trial went down to defeat in the Senate on Thursday.
MOST POPULAR OF THIS SECTION