Harvard student accused of making campus bomb hoax
December 19, 2013, 12:10 am TWN
BOSTON--Bomb threats that led to the evacuations of four Harvard University campus buildings this week were made by a student trying to get out of taking a final exam, federal prosecutors said Tuesday.
The student, 20-year-old Eldo Kim, sent emails saying bombs had been placed around campus to Harvard police, two university officials and the president of the Harvard Crimson newspaper, according to a criminal complaint filed by the U.S. attorney's office.
The messages said shrapnel bombs would go off soon in two of four buildings, including one where prosecutors say Kim was supposed to take an exam at 9 a.m. Monday. The buildings, on Harvard's campus in Cambridge, just outside Boston, were shut down for hours before investigators determined there were no explosives.
Kim, who lives in Cambridge, is to make an initial court appearance Wednesday. It was unknown if he had an attorney.
Investigators from several agencies searched the campus buildings for hours before determining there were no explosives. One of the buildings was a freshman dormitory; classes are held in the other three.
Harvard said in a statement it was “saddened” by the allegations in the federal complaint but would have no further comment on the ongoing criminal investigation.