13 dead in Navy Yard shooting, including gunman
By Chris Moody and Dylan Stableford, APWASHINGTON — The FBI is asking the public for help in determining why a former Navy reservist opened fire early Monday at the Washington Navy Yard, killing at least 12 people before he was shot dead by police.
September 17, 2013, 2:11 pm TWN
The suspected gunman was identified by the FBI as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old civilian contractor from Queens, N.Y., who most recently resided in Fort Worth, Texas. The FBI asked the public to contact the bureau with any tips related to the shooter.
"This investigation is still very active," Valerie Parlave, the FBI's assistant director-in-charge, said at a news conference. "No piece of information is too small."
According to a bio released by the U.S. Navy, Alexis was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011. He left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class and had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46 in Fort Worth.
Washington Mayor Vincent Gray said Alexis was shot during a gun battle with officers.
Alexis was arrested in Fort Worth in 2010 for discharging a firearm in city limits, police records show. Alexis told police he had fired the gun accidentally when he was cleaning it, according to a police report filed with the Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney's Office. Charges were never filed.
Alexis was also arrested in Seattle in 2004, according to the Seattle Police Department, for "shooting out the tires of another man's vehicle in what Alexis later described as an anger-fueled 'blackout.'"
A Navy official told Reuters Alexis received a general discharge from the Navy in 2011 "after a series of misconduct issues."
The Navy Yard was placed on lockdown after shots were fired inside a building on the base, the Navy said. A Metro police officer and naval base officer were among those injured in the shooting, according to the D.C. Metro Police.
"As far as we know, it's an isolated incident," Gray said. "We don't have any known motive at this juncture."
The mayor said there was "no reason at this stage" to believe it was terrorism, but would not rule it out.
Gray said the victims ranged in age from 46 to 73, and were either civilians or contractors.