US man held over Facebook school threat
December 19, 2012, 11:41 am TWN
LOS ANGELES -- California police have arrested a man for allegedly making threats on Facebook to "multiple elementary schools" invoking last week's Connecticut massacre, a spokesman said Monday.
Kyle Bangayan, 24, was arrested on Sunday at his parents' Los Angeles home, where a cache of nine weapons including rifles and handguns was found.
No arms were found at Bangayan's own home in Pomona, some 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of Los Angeles, said LA Police Department spokesman Richard French. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is also probing the case.
"The threats, which did not target specific schools but did reference the Connecticut school shooting from last Friday, were posted on the social networking site Facebook," he added.
"Also found ... at the residence where Bangayan was arrested were nine firearms, including rifles, a shotgun, handguns, and ammunition ... A search of the suspect's Pomona residence didn't yield any weapons or related evidence."
Another police spokeswoman, Venus Hall, said the threats were made to "multiple elementary schools," but gave no further details of location or numbers of targets.
LAPD chief Charlie Beck said Bangayan's alleged posting included "very specific threats and clear and present ability to carry out those threats."
He did not say if the guns seized were legally or illegally owned.
Beck also announced that officers will visit all of the nearly 600 elementary and middle schools in the Los Angeles area at least once daily when children return to school in January.
He called the planned deployments a "significant, significant effort" in the wake of the Connecticut massacre.