Romney backs Afghan drawdown plan
AP and ReutersBOCA RATON, Florida -- Republican Mitt Romney is backing President Barack Obama's plan to pull American troops out of Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
October 24, 2012, 11:44 am TWN
Romney says the Afghan troop surge that Obama ordered has been successful and a training program for Afghan forces is on track.
“The surge has been successful and the training program is proceeding apace,” he said, saying there were 350,000 Afghan forces “ready to step in to provide security and we're going to be able to make that transition by the end of 2014.”
The Republican nominee has previously criticized Obama for setting a timeline for ending the war.
Obama tripled the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan upon taking office. He has said the U.S. will maintain a civilian presence in Afghanistan after its military operations end.