'Perversion files' released on sex abuse in US Boy Scouts
By Michael Thurston ,AFPLOS ANGELES -- U.S. scout leaders covered up generations of sexual abuse inflicted on its young members, victims' lawyers said Thursday, as thousands of pages of so-called “perversion files” were published online.
October 20, 2012, 12:06 am TWN
Unveiling details from the 14,500 pages of documents, including handwritten notes, the lawyers said Boy Scouts of America still had not done enough to root out pedophiles using the youth movement to prey on minors.
In response, the U.S. scouting body's head apologized to victims, and admitted that its response had in some cases been “plainly insufficient, inappropriate or wrong.”
The previously confidential files, officially called the “Boy Scouts Ineligible Volunteer Files,” reveal details of alleged abuses by more than 1,200 scout leaders and other adults between 1965 and 1985.
They were released in response to an order by the Oregon Supreme Court.
“What these files represent is ... the pain and the anguish of thousands” of scouts, said lawyer Paul Mones, while presenting details of the files at a press conference in the northwestern U.S. state.
Mones said the files “demonstrate the depth and breadth of the BSA's vast knowledge about the threats to scouts by scoutmasters and adult leaders who used their authority ... to sexually molest generations of boys.”