Niger denies reports claiming it has agreed to allow Gadhafi son to leave
September 10, 2012, 12:21 am TWN
NIAMEY -- Niger on Saturday denied reports it had agreed to allow al-Saadi Gadhafi, one of the sons of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, to leave the West African country where he has been under house arrest after fleeing Libya last year.
His lawyer, Nick Kaufman, had earlier told France 24 television that Niger had agreed to let his client leave the country and that he had lodged a number of asylum claims with other countries.
The 39-year-old businessman and former professional soccer player is not wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) but is wanted by Libya which wants to try him for allegedly misappropriating properties via force and for alleged armed intimidation when he headed the Libyan Football Federation.
At Libya's request, Interpol last year issued a "red notice" requesting its member states arrest and extradite Gadhafi — but Niger has cited various reasons for not extraditing him.
Kaufman, his lawyer, had told France 24 that it was "no secret" that Niger had agreed to allow Gadhafi to leave. Without citing sources, the channel said South Africa was one of the countries considering his application.
But Marou Amadou, a spokesman for the Niger government, told Reuters by phone on Saturday that no decision to allow Gadhafi to leave had been taken.
"We never made a decision like this and I have no idea where this lawyer came up with this," he said.
Clayson Monyela, a spokesman for South Africa's Department of International Relations and Cooperation, also denied that his country had received an asylum application from Gadhafi.
"We don't have such a request," he said, adding that rumors Gadhafi had entered South Africa or was on his way there were "absolutely not true."
Under a U.N. Security Council resolution Gadhafi is banned from traveling and has had his assets frozen.
Kaufman said he had applied to the United Nations Sanctions Committee on Libya for a one-time waiver of the travel ban to let him leave Niger but said the issue was being held up.
His brother, Seif al-Islam, is due to go on trial in Libya later this year on war crimes charges and is also wanted by the ICC.