Third person dies from Yosemite park hantavirus
September 8, 2012, 12:03 am TWN
LOS ANGELES -- A third victim has died from a rare rodent-borne virus contracted in Yosemite National Park, out of eight cases now confirmed with the disease, authorities at the U.S. tourist spot said Thursday.
The park has issued warnings to some 10,000 people both within the United States and overseas who visited Yosemite between June 10 and late August, and stayed in a specific area of tent cabins.
Previously the number of confirmed cases of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome was put at six, with two fatalities.
The park said Thursday eight cases were confirmed and three people had died, adding: “The five remaining individuals are either improving or recovering.”