Probe urges punishment for Koran burning troops
June 21, 2012, 10:43 am TWN
WASHINGTON -- A U.S. military investigation has recommended disciplinary action for up to seven troops over their role in the burning of Korans at a base in Afghanistan, a U.S. official said Tuesday.
No final decision has been made yet on the findings of a probe, which examined the torching of Korans at a U.S. air base in February that sparked deadly riots and attacks on NATO troops, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The investigation called for administrative punishment, but no criminal charges for up to six Army troops and one member of the Navy, the official told AFP.
The U.S. Army confirmed the probe of the incident had been wrapped up, but offered no details about recommended disciplinary measures.
“The investigation is complete and is pending review,” said spokesman George Wright.
U.S. officials say relations with Kabul have been shored up since the incident and the two governments have signed a partnership agreement opening the door to a long-term American military presence after 2014, when the bulk of U.S. and NATO combat forces are due to withdraw.